3.08.2008

Crazy Neighborhood

I love our house. The moment I saw it, I knew that's where I wanted to be to bring our little one home to. Paul thought it was too much, but nonetheless agreed and so we moved in Thanksgiving day (thanks to the help of my family since I was 7 months pregnant at the time). Since then we have had several weird incidents occur. The first happened late at night, we had some friends over to watch movies when we noticed a cop car shining it's lights into our front room windows. We looked outside to find several more cop cars race to the scene. Come to find out our neighbor had locked herself in her bedroom, threatening to commit suicide. A shot had apparently already gone off which freaked me out thinking that a stray bullet could enter our home at any moment. Happy to report they retreived her safe and sound. Then a couple weeks later, while Paul was out of town and I was 9 months pregnant, some creepy guy knocked on my door (I admit now I never should have opened the door it but its Provo... what could possibly happen?) and asked to use my phone. I told him I did not have one and he left. But he continued to creep around my house and it made me nervous so I called the cops to come check it out. They took forever so I called my closest cousin who lives right around the corner. He came right over to investigate and discovered that this kid lived at a nearby home for disabled adults and had his phone privelages taken away and was going around the neighborhood asking to use someone elses phone. What a relief. A few days later, we find out that a neighbor was robbed with his own guns IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY WHILE AT HOME! I threw in the towel after that one and said Paul I want a security system- I'm home all day long with Brooklynn and want to feel more safe. Besides he sells them- come on now. So the next day Paul had one installed. Then once again, Paul leaves to go out of town. Since I now have a security system I felt more safe but that did not deter yet another weird incident. I had just layed Brooklynn down in her crib for her afternoon nap when I heard what I thought was someone trying to open our front door. Trying not to act paranoid I listened more carefully and for sure heard someone trying to open our front door several times. I grabbed my phone to call Paul as I opened the blinds to check outside. Just as I did so, I heard our garage door open. Now I was officially freaking out. Paul told me to call the cops but what was I going to say?? "Someone opened my garage?" I decided to call my cousin, Morri, once again to come to my rescue. I noticed neighbors outside so I grabbed Brooklynn, went out our front door and walked around to see who was outside. I saw nobody. Then Morri arrived. Still could not figure out who knew our code to open our garage. Morri, the detective, however discovered that a new family had moved in two doors down from us (we live in a cul-de-sac of about 6 new homes and we have been the only people living here for months but apparently it looks like nobody lives in our house) and their kids wanted to check out the other houses on the block, not knowing that there are other people already living here!! They tried to open my front door but when it was locked went around to the garage and used their same code to open it. (Silly me- I had never changed the code from when it was originally installed- the same code that aparently is given to all the other homes in the cul-de-sac when they were installed). So I am finally at ease but have decided as much as I love this house- I could be in a different neighborhood. But thank you to Morri for always coming to my rescue...Guess that's what family is for.

1 comment:

Breanne said...

Thank goodness for Morri!! He has helped me out a few times too. It is great to have family around that you can count on :)