1.03.2010

Scariest Moments of my Life

I don't know how many mother's have experienced a similar situation as I did the other day, but I would NEVER wish it upon anyone!

My family and I had gone to run some errands and shop a little at the mall. We took Brooklynn with us and left Maylee with Auntie Stephy at home (Thanks again). It is not unusual for Brooklynn after spending some time in her stroller to ask to walk. She then usually helps me push the stroller. That day was no different. After spending some time in her stroller she asked to walk. I let her down. My sister, Shayna, my brother, Cody and I split up from the rest of the group and went to look at some stores. Cody wanted to stop at Pac Sun. He and Shayna and Brooklynn looked inside, while I stood with the stroller at the entrance/exit of the store. After about 2 minutes my sister came and stood by me. I asked her where Brooklynn was and she responded that she had come to stand with me! But I NEVER saw Brooklynn come back to me, nor did I ever see her leave the store since I was standing right at the entrance! Cody, Shayna and I frantically searched Pac Sun with NO luck. My eyes quickly searched outside the store into the hectic mall with NO luck. As the tears started to swell up in my eyes I told Cody to call my mom and tell her we can't find Brooklynn, as I headed to the nearby security station to report a missing child to the mall cops. As I was giving the description of Brooklynn, what she was wearing, where she was last seen to the nicest policeman, my mom showed up and started to help in our search. I felt helpless. I didn't know where to look. I said a silent prayer and tried desperately to hold it together. After what seemed like an ETERNITY (which really she was missing for about 10 minutes) I saw my mom heading back towards Pac Sun with Brooklynn in her arms! I immediately took her from my mom's arms and started to sob. Brooklynn didn't say a word, she just layed her head on my shoulder.

My mom had gone looking towards the mall exit and as she was turning a corner she saw a man, who worked at the information desk, holding Brooklynn. She ran to the man saying, "She's mine, she belongs to me, we've been looking for her!" Without any questions asked the man handed Brooklynn to my mom, who immediately ran back to me!

I don't know where she went, where she was, or who found her. I was just happy and grateful we had found her! Of course I put her back in the stroller where she remained for the rest of our day at the mall. Paul arrived a little while later and as I recounted the experience to him, he simply responded that she was found and safe right here with us. True, but it was the scariest 10 minutes of my life and moments I never want to experience again.

This is B after the incident. Safely sound asleep in her STROLLER!

6 comments:

The Clarks said...

SO glad you found her!! I lost Ivy in the airport a couple weeks ago.. SO scary!!! We should get together soon..I think Ivy and Brooklynn would have fun together:)

Unknown said...

oh my gosh. i can't even imagine!!! Glad she's okay! And I can't take how cute Maylee is!!!! Oh my she is absolutely beautiful!!!

Kristin said...

ive had a couple similar incidents with hayley. once when she was about the same age as brooklyn at the mall and then when she was 5 at disneyland on a busy holiday for about a good 45 minutes. worst time of my life! and its so hard to keep those sobs under control when you are reunited. it happens to the best of us. glad you found her :)

Kent Kate & Afton said...

Oh that makes me sick thinking about it! I am glad you found her. Longest 10 mins of your life!!!

Dan~Kerst~Bree~Bryce~Braden~Briggs~Brooklyn said...

How awful for you! This happens all the time because I remember Bree's pediatrician telling me at her two-year-old check up to make sure when you have someone else (husband, mom, etc.) with you at the park or wherever to have one person in charge of watching the child and specify when you trade off. (When it's just you, you know you are watching her.) That is one of my biggest nightmares. Anyway, I am so glad she was ok!

Jamie said...

yikes! that is SO scary ash! i'm so sorry you had to go through that, but so happy it ended in a good way.