12.15.2009

The Baby Scoop

So my official due date is January 6th (and I am measuring right on track), however I have a wonderful Doctor who so graciously scheduled an induction for me on December 30th so that we could be in and out of the hospital before the new year, thus receiving the tax break and avoiding paying our insurance deductible twice! My family is planning to come out to Utah the day after Christmas to be here for the birth, and of course I want my mom to be with me so I don't want to go into Labor until she gets here (but you can bet that the second she is here I will be doing whatever I can to put myself in labor). However, I think we are all a little nervous that I might not make it to Christmas without going into labor. Two weeks ago I had an appointment at 35 weeks and I was 1.5 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Totally normal, yes. With Brooklynn I was dilated to a 2 for the entire last month but never progressed further until my water broke and they put me on patocin. Also at my 35 week check up I tested positive for Strep B (I tested negative with Brooklynn), which throws a little curve ball into my upcoming labor because now I have to be given antibiotics in labor and they said they would like to have them in my system at least 4 hours before the baby is born. So I have been instructed that when the time comes to NOT hesitate and get to the hospital immediately, as labor with second babies are typically much faster than with the first. Today was my 37 week check up (at my 36th week check up the Dr. was in a delivery so I couldn't get checked) and I am now 3 cm dilated, 70% effaced and minus 2 (which means she has "dropped" and is down far in my pelvis, ready for delivery...and believe me I can feel that!). So I am trying to stay off my feet because pretty much whenever I am walking around I bring on too many contractions! I have even had a few times where I have been on all fours, rocking to endure them. I am pretty much a ticking time bomb, ready to explode at any minute! And for those of you who know me well, the uncertainty kills me because I am such a PLANNER! So for now, we must all wait...some on pins and needles. I know she will come when she is ready and there is REALLY nothing I can do to prevent it or even force it...which I guess is really what adds to the excitement of the whole situation! So for today that is where we are at. I guess I better get the diaper bag and hospital bag packed "just in case" (or at least that's what the planner in me is saying).

On a side note: I think we have finally decided on a name. Fingers crossed at least!

A quick Brooklynn update: I have so many pictures to download and put on here, soon, but as of two days ago we took the binki away for GOOD! Last night was a little challenging but hopefully she will recover soon and sleeping habits will get back to normal...especially before baby sister arrives!

2 comments:

Meradith said...

So so exciting!! It's hard to believe your pregnancy is winding down, it seems like you were just dealing with the morning sickness in Houston. And I really can't believe I am just a few months behind you. Are we really gonna be mothers of two? Thinking about it exhausts me.:) So excited for you to have this experience again! Please keep us posted!

stacey said...

how exciting a baby for christmas what a great gift!! SO i also had the strep b and just a word of advice when they hang the bag each time make sure you tell the nurse to DILUTE it or it will make your arm feel like its going to explode, trust me!! I had such a hard time with the antibiotics cause each nurse kept messing with the drip line and it was killng me! So just a heads up for the least amount of pain possible going on, who needs extra pain when you have contractions right :) Good luck hope everything goes great and you and baby girl both have a happy and safe delivery!!