11.05.2008

Cabo and California

Most everyone knows we just recently got back from a Cabo Cruise and trip to California. Can I just say we are huge cruise fans now! It was a blast to say the least. It was most importantly a much needed vacation and time for Paul and I to spend together. However I left with such mixed emotions. I was so excited to go but I was sad to leave Brooklynn behind. She stayed with my parents for the 4 days and I knew she was in terrific hands, but it was still hard. It was the first time I had left her over night..let alone 4 nights. The night before I was so nervous I texted Meradith, who was also leaving her baby, and we had a good heart to heart, which made me feel better and able to sleep. I wasn't nervous that Brooklynn wouldn't be taken care of, I was just nervous she wouldn't be good for my family and they might get annoyed with her and I thought that she might forget me and oh how bad that would hurt! I had crazy scenario's taunting my thoughts...and come to find out it was all for nothing because she was good for my parents (although she did get a little sick over the weekend, which worried my mom and consequently Brooklynn had one bad night due to her inability to breath out of her stuffed-up nose), and SHE DIDN'T FORGET ME! In fact she was so happy and excited to see me. It was the best reunion. I couldn't have asked for more. Thank you mom, dad, Shayna, and Cody for taking such great care of her, for loving her so much and for also taking and picking us up at the dock! We love you all so much!

So that Thursday morning we left for the airport, Brooklynn flew with us (well actually was with Auntie Stephy the whole flight...sound asleep...thanks Steph)and my mom met us at the airport in San Diego to pick us up and take us to the dock and take Brooklynn home with her. I was brave. No tears, just a little damp eye balls. It took us awhile to check in because of the 30 booths or so, we got stuck with the lady who was new and not very quick on the computer. None the less we made it on the boat successfully. Next time we'll carry on our luggage though because it took FOREVER to get to our room. We explored the ship, did the mandatory emergency plan (lame), and departed on our way to Cabo San Lucas! There was so much to do, so many friends to hang out with and food to eat.

So for the highlights... First off, Paul volunteered to be hypnotized at the hypnotist show. It was pretty funny. Although, the girl next to him pretty much was ALL OVER him (I have many witnesses to attest) she was all up on his leg and snuggling close. My face was red with embarrassment. But it made for a great show! We had several people in our Northstar group on that stage so there was always someone doing something hilarious!

For our day in Cabo, Paul and I were able to go para sailing together. It is something I have always wanted to do, Paul had already done it but he was a trooper to come along with me and do it again. The captain of our boat was easily persuaded by Paul to allow us to go up together, even though our combined weight exceeded the maximum weight limit. Happy to report we returned safely and all went well. The water was amazing there. I swam at Lover's Beach with the girls, while Paul snorkeled with the guys. He also kayaked, while I was happy to ride back in the shuttle boat. We had some pretty lame tacos (in Mexico I know! So disappointing), which Paul thought were incredibly over priced, but what can you do??!! And we headed back to the Elation (the name of our particular cruise ship).

On the Halloween night, Paul dressed up as Michael Phelps...which scored him 2nd place in the costume contest (behind Napoleon and Deb, whose dance, I must say is really what won them the contest, however it was an AMAZING performance, and they did look just like Napoleon and Deb), and A LOT, and I mean A LOT of attention. He had women asking him to take pictures with him, drunk women who were pinching his butt. He was a little shy, but let's be honest, we all knew he was loving all the attention.

Other than that we enjoyed lots of funny moments at karaoke nights, playing wizard, watching the boys dance, and play volleyball. It was relaxing and just perfect. No complaints.

I have some great videos to post as well as soon as I get them from my mother-in-law. Just classic...makes me laugh just thinking about them.

So after deboarding, we headed back to Murrieta. We stayed with my parents for a few days. We were able to visit Grandma Giddings and Grammy Ridley. Always good to see them. Both loved seeing Brooklynn and how big she has gotten. We were also able to see Josh and Cassie's new beautiful home! Can't wait to see all the things they will do with it. So happy and excited for them...now if only that little baby girl can get here soon!! I'm sure Cassie is starting to count down the days (or at least the weeks), but we are planning on being in California for Christmas and the birth of our new little niece and we are really looking forward to it!

While home, we started preparations on Skyler's Christmas package in the mission field. We made him a Christmas tree, using our painted green hands for the branches. My mom is so cute and is the best missionary mom. My brothers are lucky. Anyways, Brooklynn wasn't too sure what to think about the paint on her hands and mommy forcing her to place it on the paper. Nonetheless we were successful at getting her to do it. It was a quick few days but we'll be back in Cali soon.

When our vacation came to a close, Paul drove the truck back to Utah (which we had left this summer when we went to Texas), and Brooklynn and I flew home. The flight had so few people on it that Brooklynn and I got a whole row to ourselves! So I placed her in the seat next to me and buckled her up! She loved it. And as always, she was the best baby on the plane...I mean it's only like her 15th time flying...she's practically a pro now!

6 comments:

Breanne said...

That cruise looked like a lot of fun!! Paul looked awesome as Michael Phelps!!
I love the idea of the hand christmas tree. Skylar will love it!

Jamie said...

looks like it was so much fun! you have me convinced, i want to go on a cruise now! :D

The Clarks said...

Hey Ashley! Looks like you guys had fun on your cruise. We are big fans too, but it has to be the right length. We are going on our company cruise in a couple weeks and it is 8 days long! Seems a little long, especially to leave Ivy, but it shouls be fun. Anyway, I would be happy to take some pics of Brooklynn. I am free this week and next, so just let me know when you want to get together:)

Lilleys & Lace Photography said...

Hey Ash!!! Looks like you guys had a blast on the cruise! Thanks for the nice note on our blog, of course you'll be invited!! We're doin it all in one day. April 18th is the big day, and we're starting to get really excited, but more excited for it just to be over and move on with married life.
So this is kind of random, but Frank and I ran in to Mike the night before yo guys left for the cruise and he had just met, but he was already trying to get him convinced to come sell with the guys this coming summer... Frank wasn't totally opposed, but that is the only time we have seen Mike. It was just kind of funny 'cuz he didn't waist any time trying to sell him on selling. :) Oh, and we are moving to Provo in August so I can finish school, so by the time you guys are back from the summer we should be settled so we should plan on getting together... We're going to need friends, especially since Frank will know practically no one, so the more friends he meets, especially male friends, the easier the transition I think. Hope you guys are well!

The Turley Times said...

I must say that I have a hard time believing your baby is as good as you say she is all the time....it almost makes me hate you.....ALMOST! :) As far as the roller coaster thing goes...the last time Ike and I went to Magic Mountain after Dane was born, we were surprised to be a little more affected by the rides as well. I thinkg the getting older thing actually does have an effect...oh well! Hope you are liking the changing seasons in Utah! We will have to hook up in Cali over Christmas...we will probably be going to Kath's house for the long weekend!

The Clarks said...

Hey Ashley! Well as far as pricing goes.. I usually just charge people I know $75 for the shoot and the cd of all the images. Where do you want to do them at? Do you have any good natural light in your house? It is getting a bit cold, so I am wondering if doing it indoors would be best?? Let me know:)