4.01.2009

In Remembrance

of my dear sweet Grandpa Poulton
who joined our Father in Heaven four years ago today!
He was such an amazing man.
Full of love, humility, courage, faith, endurance, laughter, stories, more stories, and the light of Christ.
He was an example to me in many different ways.
His final days, leading up to his departure from this earthly experience
had the greatest impact on me and my life
and I will NEVER forget the feelings I felt,
or the love and concern my Grandpa showed for me, even in his greatest hour!

It was because of the impact of his final days,
the closeness I felt with my family,
and the love that was being expressed continuously
that I decided to go live in Memphis, TN for the summer
with my Aunt Bren and Uncle Billy.
That was a decision that changed the course of my life!

As most of you know, it was in Memphis that Paul and I met.
It is by no small miracle that we were both there at the same moment in time.
I strongly believe that the Lord had a hand in both our lives
to be in the right place, at the right time.

Even as I write this I can't keep the tears from flowing
because that time in my life,
the experiences I faced and the decisions I made
are so powerful and sacred to me.

I have such a deeply profound love and appreciation for Memphis
and most especially my Aunt and Uncle
for their love and willingness to take me in that summer.
It was literally the GREATEST summer of my life.
I am also so grateful that they were witnesses to my changes and blessings,
which took place within the walls of their home.

My Grandpa touched the lives of so many,
and even til the very end he touched mine.
I am eternally grateful.
I miss him dearly.
It often breaks my heart when I realize that Paul never met him...
or heard his amazing stories.
(They would have gotten along like nobody's business.
Paul loves to watch the history and military channels
and can name every plane/jet he sees.)
Paul sweetly reminds me that one day he will
and they will play catch up for times lost.

So today Grandpa, you are in my thoughts,
and you are always in my heart.
Thank you.
I love you.


5 comments:

RYAN RIDLEY said...

Ash....
Thanks for the reminder of the very special person in both of our lives. I love that picture that you posted. It's one of my favorites of Grandpa. He is truly missed and loved by so many. What a wonderful man and example. I know that one day we will get to see him again... hear his laugh and feel his love.
I love you Ash and your family. Love Ry

MoM Ridley said...

Daddy,
I love you and today miss you the most I have in the last four years. Maybe it is the loss I feel in the love you always gave, the wisdom you shared, the guidance you offered when asked, and the path to our Savior that I watched you take my whole life. Today I miss walking into your home and finding you at the computer always greeting me with a smile and hug, always knowing when I needed to just be heard or understanding when I needed silence. I miss my power naps on your couch in the peace of my parents home where I could always escape and know I was loved unconditionally...
Always and Forever
Your Kimbur

Our Family said...

What a sweet way to remember Grandpa Poulton. He will never be forgotten and will always be missed. It is wierd that Paul has never met him. They would have gotten along so well. But it is great to be apart of an eternal family so that Paul will one day get to sit with grandpa and hear all his amazing & detailed stories! I love you Grandpa Poulton and am grateful for the love and kindness you always gave me! Thanks for the nickname "Sparkle Eyes". It always made me feel so special!

The Turley Times said...

Ditto to all...and a big AMEN!

Tolman said...

Ashley,
I was looking at something on Ambers Blog and just thought I would see what was going on in your life, and am so glad that I did. I have the date on my calander and always get the chance to reflect on what a great man he was. I can not tell you how jelouse I always was of your family having the oportunity to live so close for so many years what a great blessing I am sure it was to you. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Love your cuz
Ben