I find it interesting that we tend to want everyone to think that life is always peachy (especially in the blogging world). However I strongly believe that things are not always as they seem. So why do we find it necessary for others to perceive our families as always doing great, as if sad moments never befall us? I believe our generation is plagued with the mentality of "keeping up with the Joneses", therefore always tempting us to "put on our best face", and I admit I at times fall victim to this mentality. However, we are all experiencing mortal life and this human existence together...not necessarily in the same way but definitely in the same manner... meaning we ALL experience ups and downs. For some of us the ups may be greater than the downs and vice versa but no one is exempt from experiencing both. We are always quick to share those great, happy moments, but much more hesitant to share our struggles- the experiences that really make us grow and the experiences that really can help lift another in need...especially when we put an arm around a friend and can sincerely say "I understand". There's nothing like connecting with another person when we realize we are not alone...others are not perfect...we all struggle. And even though it is a reality we all understand as part of our test here on this earth...we fear we may be judged or disliked by our peers. I wish that could change. I think we should spend less energy on building up a persona of our so-called "perfect life", which feeds into the mentality of "keeping up with the Joneses"...no doubt aspiring to have that one day...but in the mean time really being truthful, and helping our fellow brothers and sisters overcome the downs of life, as we are overcoming them ourselves. Of course we want to engage in the joyful moments of life and celebrate with others as they experience those moments as well, but let's also build each other up by walking side by side through those moments of darkness or weakness.
Life for us has been very nice this year. At moments I have even thought things were too perfect and so I had been waiting for struggles, upsets, and/or disappointments to come our way. Now I have no doubt that life is and must be full of opposition in all things. To you my family and friends... I hope I have not put on a fake persona that would belittle any of you to think you were less than me and my growing family, or make you feel jealous in any way. If anything, I would rather you see and understand that we are all human and struggling just as much as we are grateful and joyful, because that is certainly the case with us. I am sure we are all experiencing our own Gethsemane's and I want you to know that you are not alone and that you are loved, just as I know we are not alone, and we are loved. Who am I to judge anyone's test as being greater than another?... for we are all individuals and at different stages in our progression. I just want to lend a loving hand to any who may be experiencing a down moment of life...at the same time celebrate with any who may be experiencing an up moment of life. I know they both come and go and I want you all to know that they do for the Giddings family as well. Lots of love!
On a side note...the following are recent captures of our up moments...Brooklynn is that in our life right now.








15 comments:
what a refreshing post!! you are SO right... everyone needs to hear that they are not the only ones that have struggles that come and go..that was so great of you to take the time to write something like this...
such adorable pictures of your little girl too!
Amen!!! Ups and downs come hand in hand, I've learned! I love blogging because it is a chance to share our ups, but occasionally I try to share some of our downs and those are fun because I always get twice or three-times as many comments. Isn't that funny? Everyone loves my negative posts. Because we're all living similar lives! Lots of ups and downs. Thanks for the post!
Ashley! Your baby is so beautiful I can't even believe it...what a joy... :) My husband is working for Vision Security based out of Orem and we have really liked them. We started in Minneapolis and are now in Indianapolis and I love it! I have mixed feelings about summer sales - I love living in different places, and I love the freedom it gives us the other 8 months of the year, but I have been so lonely this summer and I'm just not used to my husband being gone all the time. Have you guys gone to Texas yet? Keep in touch, i love hearing from you!
I think we learn this more and more as we get older and realize that we are all human and we all have things we struggle with. I used to think that many people had perfect lives and that is so far from the truth. It is realizing this and learning from it that shows us our true character.
this post is amazing. i miss you!! call me!
Your little girl has the most amazing smile!
Amen!
Ashley, I loved your post. I read it a few days ago and wasn't able to comment because of a restless baby. I want you to know I love you. I have missed talkin to you in person. Will you call me when you have some time? Brooklynn is so precious in those pictures. Hope to talk to you soon.
Hey Ashley, good to "see" you. You have a beautiful family, your little Brooklynn is so sweet! I love your blog. Our family blog is RyanaandBrittney.blogspot.com
Having a little girl is something, I know, is amazing! Thanks for your thoughts, I completley agree. Take care. :)
WELCOME to the world of one car! it's a joy i tell you!! i'm so glad you are surviving with such a positive attitude to boot. i'm impressed!! you are my hero.
Thanks for you soapbox thoughts, it's always refreshing to hear that others lifes aren't as perfect as they appear. And thanks for you comments on my new header, it meant a lot because I work so hard on it. I am actually just learning how to do digital scrapbooking in Adobe Photoshop. And after I finished it, it only took me a couple hours to figure out how to put in on the blog! I ended up having to save it as a JPEG (JPG,JPE) file because blogger takes that, oh and I had to shrink it too. But there is another way to do it in Photobucket. My friend actually told me to check out this blog that tell you how to do things like that...sjhblogdesign.blogspot.com. Anyway, sorry if I don't make sense, you guys will just have to move back to Utah and I just show you! Do you know what you guys are going to do after the summer job is over? How is that going?
I stumbled on your blog as I was searching for something else [unrelated]... Anyway, your blog caught my eye because I am Ashlie, my husband is Paul, we married in 2005 and we also just had our first little girl in 2008. The uncanny coincidence made me curious, so I took a gander...
Thank you for this post. I don't know you, but I needed to read it. I get it, I do. We do 'keep up appearances' on our blogs. We want to present our best selves to the world, but this does sometimes create a false sense of content and happiness. My ups get blogged; my downs get cried out in the Relief Society room (this happened yesterday; which is why your post is so timely). But opening up and being vulnerable actually creates a opening for the human bond. Satan tells us that it would be embarrassing to let people know that your husband just lost his job or that your children are misbehaving. In actuality, when people know about your problems they are more than willing to do what they can to help you. Wow, you say writing is therapeutic for you, well, reading this was therapeutic for me. Thank you.
Well said, and thanks for saying it. You are so right, about only hearing the good so no one knows that we all live a regular life...not the ones in fairytales. Although we do get our fairytale moments and they are nice!! Just wanted to say HI and see how you are doing. Your lil' Brooklyn is getting more adorable as she grows! :)
Allison
Well said, and thanks for saying it. You are so right, about only hearing the good so no one knows that we all live a regular life...not the ones in fairytales. Although we do get our fairytale moments and they are nice!! Just wanted to say HI and see how you are doing. Your lil' Brooklyn is getting more adorable as she grows! :)
Allison
Ashley,
I almost starting crying when I read this. I wish I had kept up on your blog sooner, so I could have read it and thought about it sooner. You shared a true insight, and it was eloquently written. I love you--all your joyous moments, as well as the struggles. And, I know that you do for me and my family as well.
Thank you!
Post a Comment