3.08.2011

Motherhood

Oh this girl of mine is testing every ounce of my patience!

Let me just enlighten you on some of the things that have occurred in our home lately, and what Brooklynn has to say for herself.

As I am changing Maylee's diaper at the top of the stairs in the landing, I see Brooklynn in the bathroom and what appears to be her just finishing up some business. She asks, "Can I flush the toilet mom?" "Why of course." I assume there is a little bit of #1 and a few squares of toilet paper in the toilet, but as the water starts pouring out ALL over the floor, I quickly realize that couldn't have been the case. A quick glance confirms that in fact somehow an ENTIRE unraveled roll of toilet paper ended up in the toilet! Why of course it would get a little backed up! Needless to say I was NOT happy. And I think to myself, "No wonder it seems like I am buying T.P. WAY more frequently these days." Brooklynn's response, "I'm sorry mom- it was an accident." Sure it was.

As I am busy cooking dinner and dancing around Maylee who is making a mess with grocery bags and tupperware underneath my feet, I nicely ask Brooklynn to come help me clean up the mess and play with her sister until I finish dinner. Brooklynn's response, "Mom, I'm busy right now so stop talking to me." Oh excuse me. How rude of me to think you were available. I promise not to impose on your busy schedule again sweetheart :)

After switching out and folding 1 of my 6 loads of laundry the other day, I headed upstairs to put the clothes away only to realize Brooklynn, with Maylee's help apparently, had decided to make a HUGE bed (mess) using EVERY SINGLE item of the girls' clothing, shoes and blankets out of all the drawers! Brooklynn's response, "What mom!? It's comfy." Nothing like putting ALL the clothes away on laundry day- literally.

Today after putting Maylee down for her nap, I finally took a moment for myself, only to hear Maylee crying 20 minutes later. Because Maylee is our great sleeper these days I knew immediately something, or rather SOMEONE, had woken her up. I head upstairs to see Brooklynn with this sassy, head tilted, hands in the air, smile on her face look. Brooklynn's response, "But mom, she wants to play with me. She was saying 'Brooklynn'.." I GUARANTEE she was not my little darling... "DO NOT go into sister's room again when she is taking a nap!"

Just another day, another story... I noticed Brooklynn was being a little too quiet so I head upstairs to see what she is up to (Mind you, some of you may be thinking, "Do you ever WATCH your child" and the truth is yes I do, but most of the time she is good at entertaining herself with her toys and books and things in her room and with the occasional check in, all is usually okay). And this is what I find:



Yes, she got into the sunscreen and decided to lather herself with it. Brooklynn's response when I ask her why? "Because I need to look like a pretty princess." Little does she know sunscreen tends to make your skin more oily, therefore less like a princess. Nice try though honey. She also had the same response when she came downstairs the other day decked out in many of my bracelets and necklaces (which of course I've told her several times are OFF LIMITS). "I need to look like a pretty princess."


I always try to be prepared for Sundays so that I'm not stressed out in the morning, running around like a crazy woman trying to get everyone (yes everyone, cause Paul counts as my third child) ready on time. I always wait until the very end to do Brooklynn's hair because its usually a dramatic event. But just as we are ready to walk out the door, Brooklynn's response, "Mom, how do I look?", after of course yelling coming down the stairs to announce, "Here comes Princess Brooklynn!"

Whenever any music comes on, brooklynn frantically cries out for her ballerina skirt so she can dance like a princess... literally we have meltdowns if we don't get it on fast enough.

Is there any wonder why when Paul walks in the door I am usually spent, exhausted, and have not an ounce of patience left!?

But then there are those moments when Brooklynn will randomly say "Mom, I love you," while simultaneously signing it too. Or when getting out the door to the car, come and grab my hand. Or climb into my bed and say, "Mom, will you snuggle me?" It is those moments that remind me why I always wanted to be a mom. And those other moments make me grateful I am not a single mom!


Sometimes we all need a little reminder... this video gave that to me today and I wanted to share it with all my mommy friends! There are so many things I want to be better at, in all my roles in life. With His help and support, I know I can!


7 comments:

Lilleys & Lace Photography said...

Elder Holland is my absolute favorite to listen to! He brings tears to my eyes each and every time I hear him speak. I'm sure those days and times are so frustrating and I know theyre just around the corner for me, but this video did help to shed perspective with regard to our sacred calling of motherhood. Thanks for sharing! :)

The Ericksons said...

I loved the video and the naughty things Brooklynn does remind me of my two munchkins. Those times are frustrating, but it's all worth it when they're sweet and good and so much fun.

Our Family said...

Thank you for sharing that video ASh! I cried my eyes out the entire time. It was exactly what I needed today. Some days are just such a struggle and today has been one of them. I knew that having two kids would be difficult and I am as prepared as I can be for that but I didn't think about the pregnancy part. You made it look so easy, being preggers with Maylee and taking care of Brooklynn. I'm sure that doing school on top of having a busy toddler and being pregnant wasn't the best decision for me but I know it is all worth it. It is days like these that I am especially grateful for my mom and wishes she was closer. Thank you for sharing that video and reminding me that I am doing the Lord's work by being a mother.

Meradith said...

What a great post Ashley! Love it. Love the video, we need reminders every single day that this really is something eternal and worthwhile and not just to drive us to the loony bin. :)

I so relate to the naughtiness...oh this charming age! Lucy flushed her panties down the toilet the other day. Just waiting for out septic system to explode...

Joslyn Fitzgerald Stead said...

Oh Ashley- I so needed that today! Thanks so much for sharing and for the video... Nice to know I'm not alone... And how kind of Elder Holland to remember us single moms! That made me feel so loved! Thanks a bunch!

Ryan & Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing, kids definitely try your patience in every way possible! It is nice to know my child is not the only one giving "attitude". At least the sweet moments melt your heart enough to get through the other moments. Love that talk from Elder Holland! Your girls are completely adorable!!

Tristen said...

Sigh-- I'm in a similar stage of parenting. It seems like all three of my kids are in the perpetual destroying mode. I'm not loving it all of the time, but thank goodness it's important! And I have a fourth child on Sunday mornings also... glad I'm not the only one!